Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sailed into the Mystic


Not sure why, but this photograph reminds me of Van Morrison's song "Into the Mystic." I took it yesterday of my friend's dad looking at the sunset during a dolphin-manatee cruise of Orlando's Indian River.

I'll let you decide. Here's the first verse of "Into the Mystic":

We were born before the wind
Also younger than the sun
Ere the bonnie boat was won as we sailed into the mystic
Hark, now hear the sailors cry
Smell the sea and feel the sky
Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic.
Doesn't it fit perfectly? Here he was looking so peaceful as we sailed toward the setting sun.

Perhaps Morrison intended a different translation for this song, but that's what the song means to me. Being out on the water with good friends making special memories.

2 comments:

  1. i think rather of "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay"

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the lines in the song rang a familiar bell in my mind. In my voice class at Citrus College, I sang "Santa Lucia", one of the provided songs from which to choose. For 14 years now, it is a tune that pops up frequently and randomly in my head, and is always a pleasant surprise. I hum it often. Could Van Morrison have been a fan of Neapolitan folk songs, perhaps?

    "When o'er the waters,
    light winds are playing
    Their spell can soothe us,
    all care allaying;
    To thee sweet Napoli,
    what charms are given;
    Where smiles creation,
    toil blest by heaven.

    Hark, how the sailor's cry,
    Joyously echoes nigh.
    Santa Lucia! Santa Lucia!"

    ReplyDelete