Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Will Dailey & The Rivals Rocked Vienna for Family Farmers



Last night, I got a sneak preview of Farm Aid 26 when I went to see Will Dailey & The Rivals perform in Vienna, Virginia. Mixing old songs with new music, it was a great set. I felt lucky that the band included our neighborhood on their Road to Farm Aid tour. It was a great way to start off the week.

Before the band's set began, a volunteer from the local chapter of Food & Water Watch -- a grassroots organization working to ensure the food, water and fish we consume is safe, accessible and sustainably produced -- talked about their efforts to create a "fair farm bill" to replace the factory farm-benefiting Farm Bill hurting family farms. Like Will and the band, Food & Water Watch is also taking to the road soon, covering 20 states in 34 days to raise awareness and gains support for this important legislation.

Even though I won't be able to be at Farm Aid in Kansas City in person, watching the concert last night made me feel like I was still a part of supporting our family farmers around the nation growing the good food we so desperately need. I'm looking forward to getting another chance to see Will Dailey & The Rivals perform again via Webcast at Farm Aid this weekend. There's just nothing like good music and good food to soothe the soul.

In case you haven't already guessed, today's photo post is not a portrait of Will Dailey & The Rivals, but a friendly rooster I met near a taro farm during my Hawaiian vacation earlier this year. It's an appropriate image for today since both Will and this rooster share a similar rockin' attitude and appreciate family farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment