Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Placing the Pieces


Even though I loved HBO's "Sex and the City," I'm not one for quoting its lead character, Carrie Bradshaw, who was played by actress Sarah Jessica Parker.

Of the four girls, Carrie was my least favorite. I admired Samantha's confidence and boldness. I loved Charlotte's optimism and fierce loyalty. I shared Miranda's ambition and vulnerabilities. But, I always perceived Carrie as the least likable character in the show. Carrie was often selfish, self-interested and so wrapped up in her own dramas that her friends seemed to carry her more often rather than the other way around.

In spite of her failings, Carrie was used by the show's writers to be the literal voice of the show. It was always Carrie's voice-over throughout each episode that provided viewers the relationship lessons learned by the four women.

While I hate to admit it, Carrie did share insightful observations at times that are worth remembering and incorporating into our own lives. Here's one of my favorites:
Eventually all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I loved your entry. Do you happen to know to which episode the last quote belogs to? I am a sex and the city fan and I am frustrated because I cannot figure it out.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent question. After an extensive search, I can't figure it out either. I've even found it associated with Albert Schweitzer, but can't find the source. If you should discover it, please come back and share the update. It almost makes me want to watch the series from the beginning just to figure it out!

      Delete