Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cherry Blossom Peak Announcement Day


Every year, I look forward to the day the National Parks Service with the National Cherry Blossom Festival announce the peak bloom dates for the Cherry Blossoms. And today is the day!

Once the peak bloom dates are announced, then my planning begins. I'll mark the dates for my early morning walks beneath the Cherry Blossoms with my camera. This year, I'm planning on taking a cruise on the Potomac River during peak bloom. I'll have to book that soon after the announcement as well.

 I'm guessing that this year's strange weather may bring the peak bloom date out earlier in March than usual, but you never know. I'll update this post later today once the peak dates are revealed.

Hopefully, it will be a spectacular bloom this year, especially since we'll be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the city of Tokyo, Japan's gift of 3,000 cherry trees to the city of Washington, DC in 1912.

UPDATE 3/1/12 10:58 AM ET: 2012 peak bloom is projected to be March 24-31. If this projection holds true, it will be the first time since moving to DC in 2005 that I will miss the blossoms. I'll be on vacation that week. Well, here's to 2013.

1 comment:

  1. I always look forward to your cherry blossom photos. So bummed that you will miss this year, except that you'll be on this coast and I might get to see you in person!

    ReplyDelete