Sunday, March 18, 2012

Delicate Cherry Blossoms


They're here! They're here! Ok, I know the blooming Cherry Blossom tress are more "it" than "they," but to me, "they" are old friends and deserve a pronoun as such.

Today I visited the Tidal Basin for my annual sunrise Cherry Blossom photo adventure and wasn't disappointed. I look forward to the blossoms' brief visit each spring and I'm ecstatic that they are finally here.

In spite of the fog and overcast skies, the blossoms were near peak bloom and spectacular, especially the white blossom cherry trees. While the pink blossom cherry trees were not yet in full bloom, they should be peaking in the next 24-36 hours.

After six years of visiting the cherry blossoms, I am still in awe of the delicacy of the blossoms. The petals are so fine and fragile and vulnerable to wind and rain. Weather forecasts predict thunderstorms and rain this week, which will cause the trees to lose their blossoms faster.

If you're in the DC area and planning to visit the Cherry Blossoms this year, go to the Tidal Basin as soon as you can. Once the rain storms arrive, there is no telling how long the blossoms will be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment