Friday, September 30, 2011

Stay Awake


Growing up, my sister, brother and I were notorious for becoming obsessed with a particular movie. I've now learned that this is not uncommon. Most kids love watching their favorite movie over and over again.

For us, Disney's "Mary Poppins" was the favorite. We watched it so many times that we broke the VHS tape. Conveniently, our parents found a way to avoid replacing it, however the impact of the movie on my childhood memory was set.

Composers and brothers Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman composed such beautiful melodies for Disney films, especially those featured in "Mary Poppins." I thought of the song "Stay Awake" from the film when I saw this sculpture. It is a lullaby using reserve psychology and a soothing melody to coax unwilling children to sleep. It is one of my go-to lullabies to sing whenever I babysit little ones.

That's the power of music and memory. I'm not sure which comes first, whether music creates memories or memories link itself to music. But, what I do know is that both are inexplicably linked in my life. One day, I'll sing "Stay Awake" to my children and hopefully, it will create, or link, itself to their memory as well. It will be a wonderful tradition to pass along to the next generation.



No comments:

Post a Comment