Saturday, September 17, 2011

Unexpected Sun


One of the biggest lessons I've learned so far about photography is that you (and your camera) must always be open to the unexpected. While you might arrive to a photo excursion with ideas for the types of photographs you would like to capture, chances are you'll walk away with more photos of unexpected moments than your planned ones.

When I was leaving the MLK Memorial, I turned toward the ugly chain link fence surrounding the memorial for one last glimpse of the Tidal Basin. To my surprise, I saw this composition and knew I needed to take out my camera again -- it had been put away by this point -- to capture the rising sun through the silhouetted Cherry Blossom trees and the sun's reflection on the water. By this point in the morning, I was already done, but my location has other ideas.

Like the Boy Scouts, photographers too must always be prepared. Photographic moments can happen anywhere and at any time. They are fleeting, so it's important to be able to get your camera or cell phone camera ready quickly to not miss it. Even when you think your done, another composition may present itself. In my experience, photography regrets due to missed images or photo mistakes are the worse, and should be avoided at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment