Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Reimagining


We always want what we don't have. Take our hair, for example. People with straight hair wish they had curly hair and those with curly (like myself) pay a lot of money for straight hair.

The same can be true of artistic ability. Oh how I wish I could create art from nothing, like those who can draw, paint or sculpt. However, the reality is that my artistic ability is to take what is already created and make a new creation. While there are some that look at emptiness and are inspired to create, I look what currently exists and then try to re-invent it, making it better than its current state.

No doubt the artist behind the Korean War Veterans Memorial intended for the squad of statues to be reflected in this wall. But, I suspect he didn't imagine a photo composition like this of his work. Two different approaches, but both reaching the same result -- a moving image honoring the men and women who served in the Korean War.

No comments:

Post a Comment