Monday, November 8, 2010

Serenity Now


We've all had those blood pressure-raising days when we feel compelled to yell to the universe "Serenity now!!" as Frank Costanza often did on the TV show, Seinfeld. When shouting out loud isn't possible, I try to remove myself from the stressful situation and relocate to an environment which brings serenity and peace. For me, one of those peaceful places is Arlington National Cemetery.

While there is much sadness at Arlington, especially in newer Section 60 where our Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are laid to rest, the cemetery's silence is soothing to a weary soul. After a long week, strolling through the cemetery's beautifully landscaped scenery brings solace and calm to my frayed nerves. Even watching the Honor Guard guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is calming. In my office at work, I framed the image above of Arlington National Cemetery in autumn and placed it on the wall near my computer and telephone. During stressful moments, I look up and remember the solace and peace of this sacred burial ground, lowering my blood pressure and helping me refocus on the challenge at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment