Saturday, March 19, 2011

U.S.S. Arizona Anchor


Before traveling to Kaua'i, I visited Oahu for a day just to visit the World War II Valor in the Pacific memorial where the U.S.S. Arizona memorial is located. A longtime WWII history buff, I could not resist the opportunity to visit Pearl Harbor where the surprise attack by the Japanese occurred and prompted the United States to enter the war. More than 2,000 people died during the attacks, including more than a thousand sailors on the U.S.S. Arizona alone. While I didn't make it out to see the memorial over the sunken battleship in the harbor, I did get to visit the exhibits and displays, which included this anchor from the Arizona. While other visitors photographed the anchor from the front, I loved this perspective with the sun behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment