Friday, May 27, 2011

The Power of You


This week, I spent a lot of time talking on the blog about our capability to create change and impact the world around us. If it sounded preachy, it was not meant to be. Like you, I, too am a student of life, just trying to keep moving forward and embracing the person I am meant to be. No easy feat, but it is journey we must all travel.

This photograph captured a moment of perfect alignment in my life. I took this image standing on the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge in Kaua'i overlooking the Waimea River. Standing on that wooden bridge and surrounded by the blue sky, green mountains and sparkling river, I felt completely at peace and centered. In my soul, I knew that I was standing in exactly the right place at the right time and taking the right course of action. How many times have you felt that centered? That validated? I wish I could say that I experience that feeling all the time, but that would not be true.

Watching Oprah's final show this week, I was envious of her statement that every time she stood on her stage to tape The Oprah Winfrey Show, she had that validation of purpose. Over the past 25 seasons, Oprah always knew that she was doing exactly what she was meant to do in exactly the way she was meant to do it. That's impressive and powerful. We all can be Oprahs, perhaps not as wealthy or well-known or an influencer hundreds of millions of people worldwide. However, if we can tap into our own power -- the power of you generated through acknowledging and living our life's purpose -- we can also create impact and be Oprah in our own lives, homes, workplaces and communities. We can be like the sunlight reflecting off of the surface of this river. By living a life of purpose and taking actions wedded in our own aha moments, we too can create a legacy that illuminates the world around us and hopefully, like Oprah, inspires our children and others to live purposeful lives as well.

You might have noticed that I missed a few days this week on the blog. I'm planning to make it up to you over Memorial Day weekend by posting two photos a day in place of the three missed days.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE HANAPEPE!! It's my favorite place in Kaua'i for three reasons: 1) it's SOOO much fun to say Hanapepe, 2) there are amazing art galleries there and 3) did I mention that it's fun to say Hanapepe?

    ReplyDelete