Sunday, January 30, 2011

Trapped


Yesterday, I treated myself to a quick getaway. I took out a Zipcar for the day and went to explore some new places in the District, places I've only read about but had yet to visit. And of course, I took my camera along to document my excursion. Luckily, lots of snow remained on the ground after last week's snowstorm and only added to the drama of Saturday's photos. I'm looking forward to sharing with you some of the photos from this jaunt.

Today's photo from yesterday's collection captures a familiar spot -- the Tidal Basin -- but in a way I've never seen it before. The entire Tidal Basin was frozen and covered with snow yesterday. I'm sure this happens every winter, however, I've never witnessed it before. This image features a tree branch, probably from one of the now bare Cherry Blossom trees, trapped in the frozen water. Yet while there is stillness during winter, like this trapped branch, I also discovered that there is life as well. In the coming days, I'll share some photos from my Saturday excursion that illustrate either the liveliness or silence of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment