Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer Bench


Park benches are one of my favorite locations for summer reading. When I'm reading a book that I can't put down, I seek out park benches, like this one in Clarendon Market Commons, that offers the right combination of sunshine and shade and a welcoming environment for people-watching during my reading breaks.

This month for our First Wednesdays Book Club, we are reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot about true tale of the black woman "whose cells -- taken without her knowledge in 1951 -- became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization, and more," as stated on the book's website. It is an incredible story that is so beautifully written, I cannot put the book down. I am constantly looking for any excuse to continue reading it during the week and then on the weekend, I'm on the lookout for inviting park benches for marathon reading sessions.

1 comment:

  1. that book is in my stack of 'to read'. i'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete