Saturday, December 25, 2010

Counting Blessings


Merry Christmas! Every Christmas season, I always watch my three favorite holiday movies -- "Elf," "Love Actually" and the classic Christmas musical, "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye and Rosemary Clooney. I was shocked at Christmas Eve dinner this year to learn some have never seen "White Christmas." Ridiculous! With music and lyrics by the great songwriter Irving Berlin and entertaining performances by talented singers and comedians, it always gets me in the holiday spirit. While I love the songs "White Christmas," "Sisters," and "Snow," my favorite song in the film is "Count Your Blessings" sung as a duet by Crosby and Clooney.

As you mark this day with gift opening, church attending, movie watching, Chinese food ordering or other Christmas and/or Saturday activities (depending on your spiritual viewpoint), I leave you with the thoughtful lyrics of this song. May your day be filled with much joy, laughter, love and numerous blessings as there are stars in the sky.
When I'm worried and I can't sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.
When my bankroll is getting small,
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.
I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds.
If you're worried and you can't sleep,
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment