Wednesday, December 29, 2010

First Snowfall


As the Northeast digs out of a fierce snowstorm, I can't help but reminisce about my first snowfall five years ago. A Southern California native, my only experience with snow before moving to the East Coast was 2-3 trips to Big Bear or the Mount San Jacinto Mountains when only a few inches of snow lay on the ground.

While my first snowstorm as a DC area resident only left a few inches of snow, I delighted in strolling around my neighborhood with my camera the next morning. Today's post is one of my favorite photos from that walk. It combines two of my favorite photo subjects -- a path and snow-covered trees. Little did I know then that eventually around the proverbial bend in my journey as a East Coast dweller would be many more snowfalls, including two blizzards that would leave me housebound for a week. Yet, I still remember the joy of my first snowfall and I hope that others felt that emotion as well during this week's storms. However, I'm guessing stranded travelers stuck at airports and train stations due to the weather felt little joy about the storm this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment