Monday, January 23, 2012

Lists and Letters


Today, I discovered two fantastic blogs that make my history-loving heart skip a beat. Lists of Note and Letters of Note are blogs that share lists and letters, respectfully, created by people of note.

I loved reading author F. Scott Fitzgerald's list to his daughter about what she should (and should not) worry about in life. And Charles Dickens' letter to his wife to tell her about the passing of their daughter was so beautifully written and moving. Both sites feature countless of letters and lists that will make you pause and marvel at the beauty of the written word.

While reading these intriguing lists and letters, I can't help but wonder if these historic figures knew that their intimate correspondence would be read by thousands and become a part of our human record. How would they feel about it? Would they choose for these moment to be public?

When I started this blog, I chose to publicly share my photographs, experiences and personal insights. I don't know how I would feel about not having the choice.

I guess since most of these items are shared posthumously, perhaps the writers don't really care whether we read and share these lists and letters with each other. Maybe they appreciate us learning from their lives and words now for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment