Thursday, January 12, 2012

Without the Whole Staircase


Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." On the eve of the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, he's an appropriate figure to think about and consider his thought.


I may have mentioned before my love of Indiana Jones' test of faith in the film, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He was asked to step out on a ledge that he couldn't see in order to cross to the other side of the cavern. King's quote reflects the same concept -- keeping the faith without seeing the road ahead.

My control freak self loves to know what is going to happen next. While I love planning out every possibility in advance for life's adventures, there's the other part of me that understands that it's life's curveballs that provide our greatest life lessons. To learn faith, one must forgo previews of the future and just trust that everything will work out as it should and leap.

When I position my camera to take a picture, I'm not always sure what the final image will look like. Will the exposure be ok? Will the image be in focus? Will the final composition be balanced? Even though I may not have the answers to these questions, I still take the leap and press the shutter button, trusting my instinct and knowing that what will be, will be.

I wasn't sure about this photograph of a dog statue at Tudor Place when I took it. Is the statue really interesting? Would the shadows confuse the camera and throw the colors off? And yet, without answers to these inquiries, I pressed the shutter and now we have today's photograph. Perhaps not the best one I've ever taken, but one I'm happy to share with all of you. A small and minor leap of faith, yet a leap all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment