Friday, July 8, 2011

Charge!


One of the best benefits of engaging in social media communities, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and now Google+, is that I've expanded my opportunities to learn from others. I'm a lifelong learner, which is why I am constantly reading, watching documentaries and films, visiting museums and historical places and talking to people. Through social media, I can do that 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and my options for information sources are now limitless.

Every day, I'm surprised by something someone has shared on their profile and today is no exception. Peter Shankman, a well-known public relations and new media expert, often shares articles, resources and ideas that make me go "Hmmmm." Today on Facebook, he posted a quote by actor Morgan Freeman that gave me pause:
I always tell my kids if you lay down, people will step over you. But if you keep scrambling, if you keep going, someone will always, always give you a hand. Always. But you gotta keep dancing, you gotta keep your feet moving.
It's the perfect thought to end this busy week. We should always be in motion. This doesn't mean that we need to be busy all the time or fail to enjoy the quieter moments of life. Freeman means that we should always be moving forward and when we do, there will always be people to help and support our forward progress. It's only when we hesitate, pause too long, or start losing ground, that champions are harder to find, even within ourselves.

Like Auguste Rodin's sculpture, "The Call to Arms," we should face each day with our arms spread wide and the shout, "Charge!" on our lips. With that attitude, there is no obstacle that we can't overcome and infinite supporters available to hold us up and help lift us toward success.

No comments:

Post a Comment